VNC conections from multiple remote achines

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 17:48:18 UTC 2008

Not exactly sure where your are going with this.

Nomachine has a variety of free and proprietary stuff of this sort

http://www.nomachine.com/download.php
http://freenx.berlios.de/

The freenx server is GPL.

The "free" nomachine server.  Is free as in beer, not as in freedom.
And has limits on the number of concurrent users, that bother
some folks, but not others.

The nomachine client is also free as in beer, not as in freedom.

As far as I can tell the only usable clients are from nomachine.
There were some open source client projects, but as far as I know
they were all stillborn.  If there are any viable open source clients,
please let me know.

There is also a 2x variant http://www.2x.com/ I see their free server,
but I don't see the free client.  Haven't tried it.  I believe 2x uses a
slightly different (imcompatible) version of the protocol.

freenx and nomachine use the same protocol and are compatible.
there is a difference in the default encryption keys, so you have
to jump through an extra hoop when installing.

We use the freenx server, with the nomachine client.

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:

> I would like to set up a machine so that multiple remote machines can
> connect and use VNC sessions on this machine. To do this I need some way
> of
> managing then "session ID" (as in machine_name:1 where 1 is the display
> number) dynamically.
>
> Before I go and invent this wheel, I thought I would check and see if it
> had already been invented.
>
> --
> One of the main causes of the fall of the roman empire was that, lacking
> zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
> programs.

Drew Einhorn