aftermath of an ubuntu installation

Donny George donny008 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 15:16:17 UTC 2008

the ethernet on my motherboard has been recognised as REALTEK 8029 by ubuntu

the link that i followed was this.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE

but this reaches a point where i have to enter the id and pwd, which i dont
know. (i share it )
in windows all i need to do it to plug in the dsl cable and the internet is
up.

when i do ifconfig -a
i get

eth0
Link encap Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xxx
Up broadcast running multicast blah blah

lo

don

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Donny George wrote:
> > could you also show me a link to get internet working. i use a wired
> > connection and as such i dont enter username and password, its plug and
> > play in windows, and neither do i know the id and pwd as i share it. i
> > tried the link for adding ethernet and so on. but i still cant get the
> > internet working on ubuntu
>
> Oh, that looks like a new round of wild guessing in the dark :)
>
> Well, the question is, what do you mean with "wired connection"? Do you
> have an ethernet controller on your motherboard or is it connected via
> USB? If the ethernet controller is not found by the kernel, what type is
> it? Could you explain a bit more about how you connect to the internet
> and where the problem is? What is the output of the command
>
> ifconfig -a
>
> in a terminal?
>
> And these pages could be useful for you:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetHowto
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkDevices
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CategoryNetworking
> http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=136