Multiple gnome sessions for 1 user in Gutsy

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Mar 4 15:13:16 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 12:50 -0500, Rashkae wrote:
>>> I want to create extra gnome sessions for 1 user.  All the documentation
>>> I find on the net says there should be an Add button in the Session
>>> Options tab of Session Manager.  This is also what I find if I click on
>>> the help button on the Session Manager.   (Say that 10x fast)
>> As far as I can see (but I'm tired) the help page in Hardy does not say
>> this. Which is what I would figure correct, since AFAIK simultaneous
>> logins by the same Gnome user do not work
>
> They don't?  I can have multiple simultaneous KDE sessions (thankfully! I
> rely heavily on it) and I can't see why Gnome should be different.  I
> _always_ have a KDE NX session open (from my work XP desktop), and a
> session directly on the laptop.
>
>> and will heavily break the session.
>
> It shouldn't "break" the session, but the session you get restored at next
> login will always be the one from which you last logged out - not
> necessarily the one you want.

I used to rely on this with KDE as well, and will probably switch back
because of this.  It doesn't work well in gnome (my inability to manauly
create additional sessions in the manager notwithstanding)

Things that go wonky if you try:

gnome-terminal windows will not open in a second session unless you add
--disable-factory to the launcher.

Many gnome applets will not work on the second session.  Volume Control,
system monitors, CPU Frequency and Batter applets all refust to start on
the second session.

Removable media auto-run will only work on one of your sessions, chances
are the second/remote one.. (ie, I put a dvd in my dvd drive at the
workstation, and the movie starts playing on the *other* computer in office)