Need help configuring a serial impact printer with Ubuntu 7.10

Johan Pretorius jpretorius at dunns.co.za
Tue Mar 4 12:34:52 UTC 2008

Johan Pretorius wrote:
| We are currently investigating the viability of Linux for a “Point of
sale
| System”. Our current point of sale is using Epson TMU220 Slip printers
with
| a serial interface (this is also based on Linux but the Application simply
| writes directly to the Serial port (rather than using CUPS/LPD).
|
| I have gone as far as trying to configure the printer with System → Admin
| → Printing, but I cannot get the printer to work - Ubuntu keeps on
telling
| me that the printer may be disconnected.
|
| Does anyone have any pointers on how to get this sort of printer to work
| (the open printing database says that this printer is supported, but I
| cannot figure out how to make it work with CUPS)
|
| Thanks

did you set it up under the cups web config at localhost:631?

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Brilliant! The web interface to configure printers told me straight away
that there is a problem with the Serial port (Permissions) - This was easily
fixed.

Now the printer is printing, but it's printing garbage. I know that when I
cat something to the serial port that it actually works fine (this is when
it is a plain text file) but printing a plain text file seems to print
garbage (no idea where the formatting comes from). I will try the plain text
driver to see if it works. Please let me know if you have any more pointers
for me.

Thanks

This communication and any attachments are confidential and intended for the sole use of the
intended recipient.  Any form of copying or disclosure of this communication to any third parties
without permission is prohibited.  The contents of this communication and its attachments are
not intended to be relied upon in law without subsequent written confirmation.  As such, Dunns
Stores (Pty) Ltd accept no responsibility or liability (including negligence) for the consequences
of anyone acting, or not acting, on information contained therein.

If you have received this communication in error please notify us immediately and destroy or
delete it.