Altering Boot Loader for dual boot

Leo Cacciari leo.cacciari at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 09:52:33 UTC 2008

Il giorno mar, 04/03/2008 alle 06.32 +0200, Alexandra Zaharia ha
scritto:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:06 AM, Phil Tann <phil at philtann.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is there a simple way to alter the boot loader so that an OS other than
> > Ubuntu (sorry guys and girls… work requires winblows to be my OS) is the
> > default.  I can't seem to find out how and my head hurts now!
>

> Hi Phil,
>
> I understand you need in the grub menu an operating system other than
> Ubuntu to be on the first entry.
>
> Here is a part of my /boot/grub/menu.lst file:
>
> title           Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
> root            (hd1,5)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
> root=UUID=25420f85-4693-400c-a595-a3088a7c0144 ro
> initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
>
> title           Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> root            (hd0,1)
> savedefault
> makeactive
> chainloader     +1
>
> Now, suppose you want the Windows install to be on the first line in
> grub - you'd just have to invert the two entries to make menu.lst look
> like this:
>
> title           Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> root            (hd0,1)
> savedefault
> makeactive
> chainloader     +1

Hi
The entry is right, but I'll advise you to read carefully all the
comments in the menu.lst file. This file is automatically regenerated
each time you update the kernel or install a new one. In particular:

all lines between the lines
### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
and
### END AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
are supressed.

I can not stress it enough: read the comments.

Enjoy

--
Leo 'TheHobbit' Cacciari