Asus EEE webcam???

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Tue Mar 4 04:47:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 09:32 +0100, Neil wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln at mnsi.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 19:19 +0100, Neil wrote:
> >  > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln at mnsi.net> wrote:
> >  > > On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 16:20 +0100, Neil wrote:
> >  > >  > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Bart Silverstrim
> >  > >  > <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:
> >  > >  > > Blaž Repas wrote:
> >  > >  > >  > Hi!
> >  > >  > >  >
> >  > >  > >  > I have bought an Asus EEE laptop, installed ubuntu on it and tried Ekiga...
> >  > >  > >  > But the webcam does not seem to work...
> >  > >  > >  >
> >  > >  > >  > Can anyone help me??
> >  > >  > >
> >  > >  > >  I read somewhere that the webcam was disabled in the BIOS.  you might
> >  > >  > >  want to look there.  Maybe it was a power save thing...?
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > Under the original OS (Xandros) the web cam works perfectly, so it
> >  > >  > can't be disabled in the BIOS. Or does Xandros perform a separate
> >  > >  > hardware check that Ubuntu doesn't?
> >  > >
> >  > >   It may well be a simple driver issue.  Do you offhand know which
> >  > >  driver Xandros was using?  If you don't then we need to track down the
> >  > >  driver.  I'm not sure if the camera would be on the usb bus or the pci
> >  > >  bus, though usb makes more sense.  For info on the USB bus in a terminal
> >  > >  enter lsusb, and look for the info, if you don't get enough info, try
> >  > >  lsusb -v, that will produce a lot of info and you need to look for the
> >  > >  camera, if you cannot scroll back far enough try lsusb -v >> lsbusb.txt,
> >  > >  and then open that with a text editor.  For the pci bus, try lspci.  For
> >  > >  more info on either man lsusb or man lspci.
> >  >
> >  > here is the entire lsusb response from a EEE running the originl
> >  > Xandros. I can't find the camera, but you may know what it all means.
> >  >
> >  > Neil
> <snip>
> >
> >   I was looking for something similar to this:
> >  idVendor           0x0402 ALi Corp.
> >   idProduct          0x5602
> >   bcdDevice            1.00
> >   iManufacturer           0
> >   iProduct                1 USB2.0 Camera
> >
> >    Which is part of the camera definition for the web-cam on my laptop.
> >
> >  If the web-cam works on the install that you posted the listing from,
> >  would you please provide the output from lsmod.  This will tell us what
> >  module Xandros is using to drive the hardware.
>
> Here ya go, glad to help.
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> wlan_scan_sta           9728  1
> ath_pci                74084  0
> ath_rate_atheros       24768  1 ath_pci
> wlan                  144280  4 wlan_scan_sta,ath_pci,ath_rate_atheros
> ath_dfs                25476  1 ath_pci
> ath_hal               139968  3 ath_pci,ath_rate_atheros
> [...]

  This is a shortened list from my system

gspca                 656720  0
videodev               26880  1 gspca
v4l1_compat            16388  1 videodev
snd_usb_audio          81024  2
snd_usb_lib            20992  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            29824  1 snd_usb_lib
snd_seq_device         12812  2 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_hwdep              13956  1 snd_usb_audio
v4l2_common            26240  1 videodev
8139too                30592  0
mii                     9600  1 8139too
ohci1394               37040  0
ieee1394              102584  1 ohci1394
snd_pcm                86916  4
snd_pcm_oss,snd_usb_audio,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
ohci_hcd               23428  0
ehci_hcd               34696  0
usbcore               128004  6
gspca,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd

  As you can see videodev requires the gspca module on my system,  on
yours it's uvcvideo.  This ought to be the driver module for your
webcam.  IIRC, what you wanted was to be able to use the webcam in
Ubuntu.

  Here's a link that might be of interest to you:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_the_Asus_EEE_PC

  Scroll down to the webcam part.

Package List
Currently, toofishes' repository contains the following packages:

      * kernel-eee

customized kernel for Eee

      * linux-uvc-eee-svn

webcam driver for Eee

      * luvcview

webcam program for testing webcam driver

      * madwifi-ng-eee

wifi driver for Eee

  Hopefully this will help you.