Ubuntu 7.10's GParted 0.3.3: How to get it more accurate ?

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Mar 4 01:40:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 16:05 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/03/2008 02:43 PM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

> >> That's right - you are using Gutsy, not Hardy. This version isn't
> >> available for Gutsy. Therefore you could do one of these:
> >>
> >> - compile the new version from the source code,
> >
> > As a newbie I am unable to and would not risk to try and spoil my
> > running system ;-)
> >
> >> - wait for Hardy until it is ready in April
> >
> > better, will have to ! :-D
> >
> >> - use the alpha version of Hardy
> >
> > sorry, no alpha / beta experiments with my newbie knowledge and the
> > productive system ;-))
> >
> > Thank you Nils !
> > Cheers, svobi
> >

> You 'can' install it in Gutsy if you also install the hardy libc6.
> However then you might screw up something else down the road. I had the
> hardy libc6 installed on this machine for over a month before I ran into
> an issue. Can't exactly what the issue was, but it was minor and dealt
> with something in Wine if I recall. I simply reinstalled the standard
> Gutsy libc6 with no ill effects at all. That said: normal warnings about
> installing things from other releases apply... proceed at your own risk.
>
> So... if you feel adventurous; download the hardy libc6 deb from
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libc6 and then install the hardy gparted.

Hi Nils,
Thanks for your explanation and the hints how to !
At the moment I wouldn't risk it untiul I am getting much more familar
with Ubuntu's system !
Already learning and studying Ubuntu Linux Toolbox with its 1000+
(ooppss) commands !!! ;-|

> Note: an easy way to quickly find out the dependency issues _using a
> gui_ is to just double-click on the deb file from Nautilus. That will
> bring up the package installer & if dependencies aren't met, it will
> tell you which one(s) you need.

Once more: Thank you ! I will have to try and get more familiar. ;-)

Cheers, svobi