aftermath of an ubuntu installation

Donny George donny008 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 23:58:22 UTC 2008

hello

as instructed i did this procedure of trying to convert my hda5 to ntfs but
my error message was

re-reading the partition table failed with error 16. device or resource busy
the kernel still uses old table. the new table will be used at the next
reboot.

at this point i notice that the partition hda2 was represented as W95
extended (LBA). does this possibly mean that i should have rather tried
converting hda2 rather than hda 5.

waiting for further advice

don

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Donny George wrote:
> > how could i possible convert hda 5 to ntfs
>
> OK, I should have explained it earlier. Be careful with this procedure
> because you could possibly make your entire disk unusable. Open a
> terminal and type this command:
>
> sudo fdisk /dev/hda
>
> That will give you a new prompt within the fdisk program. Use the "p"
> command (without quotes) to display the partition table and verify it is
> the trouble disk. Use the "t" command. It will ask for a partition
> number. Enter "5" to select the hda5 partition. Now it asks for the hex
> code you want to use. Enter "7". Now it tells you that the partition type
> is changed to HPFS/NTFS. Verify the new type of /dev/hda5 with the "p"
> command. If there is something wrong, you can still quit the program with
> the "q" command and start again because until now nothing is written to
> the disk. Only if it is OK, use the "w" command to write the modified
> partition table to the disk.
>
> Then mount the partition with this command:
>
> sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
>
> If the command succeeds without error message you can check if there are
> still data on the partition. If there are data you can find them in
> the /mnt directory now.
>

> Nils

Donny George
Lugostraße 14,