aftermath of an ubuntu installation

Donny George donny008 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 22:48:34 UTC 2008

i tired the testdisk, but when i run the exe of test disk in windows a dos
window comes and goes like the blink of an eye. so i tried the dos method
and it says that a cygwin1.dll file has to be updated with latest one. well
i dont have any idea wat it means. i could find three cygwin.dll files but i
am not sure wat to do with them ,  but in the meantime i think i will try
the methodolgy that Noop suggested. wish me luck :)

will be back soon

don

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 6:52 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 03/03/2008 04:44 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Donny George wrote:
> >> how could i possible convert hda 5 to ntfs
> >
> > OK, I should have explained it earlier. Be careful with this procedure
> > because you could possibly make your entire disk unusable. Open a
> > terminal and type this command:
> >
> > sudo fdisk /dev/hda
> >
> > That will give you a new prompt within the fdisk program. Use the "p"
> > command (without quotes) to display the partition table and verify it is
> > the trouble disk. Use the "t" command. It will ask for a partition
> > number. Enter "5" to select the hda5 partition. Now it asks for the hex
> > code you want to use. Enter "7". Now it tells you that the partition
> type
> > is changed to HPFS/NTFS. Verify the new type of /dev/hda5 with the "p"
> > command. If there is something wrong, you can still quit the program
> with
> > the "q" command and start again because until now nothing is written to
> > the disk. Only if it is OK, use the "w" command to write the modified
> > partition table to the disk.
> >
> > Then mount the partition with this command:
> >
> > sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
> >
> > If the command succeeds without error message you can check if there are
> > still data on the partition. If there are data you can find them in
> > the /mnt directory now.
> >

> > Nils
> >

> Might also want to give test-disk a try:
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
>  http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd

Donny George
Lugostraße 14,