Multiple gnome sessions for 1 user in Gutsy

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Mar 3 18:20:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 12:50 -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> I want to create extra gnome sessions for 1 user.  All the documentation
> I find on the net says there should be an Add button in the Session
> Options tab of Session Manager.  This is also what I find if I click on
> the help button on the Session Manager.   (Say that 10x fast)

As far as I can see (but I'm tired) the help page in Hardy does not say
this. Which is what I would figure correct, since AFAIK simultaneous
logins by the same Gnome user do not work and will heavily break the
session. AFAIK this is well publicized, so it surprises me that you
Google search turned up nothing to the effect.

> However, in Gusty, when I open the Session properties and click on the
> Session options tab, none of that is there.  All I have are a check mark
> to Automatically save my session and a Save now button.

AFAIK this is on purpose because of the reasons given above.

Having said all that, a quick search of Launchpad and Goggle turned up
no links to support what I said, so I rely purely on memory and may well
be wrong.