Question

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sun Mar 2 23:33:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 15:21 -0800, Richard Rudnick wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 15:53 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Richard Rudnick <rich at aphroneo.net> wrote:
> > >
> > >  On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 10:48 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > >
> > >  > sda2/u = /BOOT Ubuntu, shareable with more Linux'es !?
> > >
> > >  I would suggest not using a separate boot partition. Grub can find
> > >  kernels in more than one place (that is, a boot directory under each
> > >  os's root). If you have a 64bit processor and would like to have both
> > >  32bit and 64bit Ubuntu's installed you must do this, since the kernel's
> > >  for both have the same name.
> >
> > Hmm, are you then going to have the boot directory under the root
> > directory in the root partition for the OS installation?
> >

> Exactly. Each os will have it's own /boot this way. I used to use
> a /boot partition when I needed it at the front of the disk for lilo;
> since I've switched to grub it's not necessary. And, since the kernel is
> integral to the base os it makes sense to back it up with /lib/modules
> these days.

Hi Gernot and Richard
Thanks a lot for your feedback and and your interesting additional
comments, thoughts.
At the moment it's a little early for me to follow clearly what you
really do and
I would appreciate your assistance when I continue my "Partition
Reorganizing"
for my future partition layout / setup with Ubuntu 8.40 resp. before
that !? ;-)
Cheers, svobi