Suspend Problem w/ Thinkpad t61

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sun Mar 2 15:35:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 12:20:24AM -0800, petevg at gmail.com wrote:
> I having been banging my head into the wall trying to fix a suspend
> issue on my Thinkpad T61, running Gutsy Gibbon, and wondered if this
> list might have some advice.
>
> The issue, specifically, is that the computer will suspend to RAM
> successfully, and wake successfully, one or two times in a row.  About
> every third time, however, it refuses to wake up.  I open the lid, but
> the suspend light remains on, and nothing else happens.  I have to
> shut the computer down and reboot.

My T61 (intel video) suspends and resumes nicely.  Every now and then
(well, a few times a week) resume hangs for a while: I get a text
console saying "inux" in yellow, and the moon LED is blinking.  At this
point I can switch between virtual consoles (but not to the GUI), I can
type text, I can toggle Caps Lock, and that's pretty much it.  Alt-SysRq
doesn't work.

What I usually do is keep pressing CapsLock until the laptop resumes.  I
don't know why it helps; I suspect extra interrupts generated by the
keyboard controller might be the reason.

dmesg after a resume leads me to suspect either sound (intel HDA) or USB
drivers.

Marius Gedminas
--
You've obviously never tried to reverse engineer a chip using an electron
microscope. [...] That's like looking at the grains of sand on a beach