Virtual box

petevg at gmail.com petevg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 07:53:20 UTC 2008

Hello,

> Willis Taylor wrote:
>  The error reads;
>
> FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

Let's start from the top ...

First thing to check:  Is the CD successfully mounting in Ubuntu?
* Is there a cd-shaped icon on your desktop with a name that seems to
indicate that it's a Windows 2000 CD?
* If you don't see the icon, then your problem has to do with mounting
the cd, rather than VirtualBox, per se.

Second thing to check: Is VirtualBox actually looking for the CD?
* Open VirtualBox
* Go into the Settings for the Virtual Machine you created.
* Under 'CD/DVD ROM', make sure that "Mount CD/DVD Drive" is checked.
* On that screen, also make sure that "Host CD/DVD Drive" is selected.

If that doesn't work, you might try copying the contents of the cd to
an .iso file on your hard disk -- this would step around any driver
issues VirtualBox is having with your CD.

To copy the CD:

1)  Right-click the Windows 2000 CD icon on your Ubuntu Desktop.
2)  Click "Copy Disk" in the context menu that pops up.
3)  Under "Copy Disk To", select "File Image"
4)  Click "Write"
5)  The program will ask you where you want to save your file image.
Save it wherever you wish.

This will give you an .iso file that VirtualBox can mount like a
normal CD.  In order to get it to do so, open Virtual Box, and:
1)  Go into the Settings for the Virtual Machine you created.
2)  Under CD/DVD drive, select the radio button next to "ISO Image File"
3)  VirtualBox will then, IIRC, open a Wizard that allows you to add
an .iso file to its library of disc images, and then select that file
for mounting.
4)  Pick the iso you just made, then close out of the Settings and try
to boot your virtual machine.

One caution:  the system specs you quoted for your computer in an
earlier post lead me to think that your hard drive might be a bit slow
to run a Virtual Machine at a good clip.  I've got a fairly fast (for
a laptop) 5400rpm drive, and I'm constantly grinding my teeth about
the speed at which Windows XP (which I must run; I'm a web developer
and have to test the stuff I create on silly Windows-only browsers)
does stuff.  The amount of RAM you quoted also seemed a little bit
low.  I don't know what programs you are planning on running in
Windows, but you may want to look at using wine as an alternative,
easier-on-the-system solution.

--
~PeteVG

"Far more beguiling than the idea that evil can be destroyed by
throwing a piece of expensive jewelery into a volcano is the
possibility that evil can be defused by talking."

~ Terry Pratchett