How can I send an email from the command line?

Dan Farrell dan at spore.ath.cx
Sun Mar 2 02:27:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:34:46 +0100
"mierda tuti" <mierdatuti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I' trying to cand execute a command in a shell-script to can send a
> email to somewhere out of my LAN.
> I 've seen another post about that but he want to do with evolution.
> I don't have configured Evolution, could I do with other program?
> I've been reeding that I could do with mutt. But I think that I need
> install MTA like Sendmail. I 've installed sendmail but do I need
> configure? What else I have to do it?
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks a lot and sorry for my englsih

if you apt-get install mailx, chances are you'll be able to use the
mail command as such:
$ mail dan at spore.ath.cx
and type the subject, mail, then a . on a line by itself to terminate
the message.  if you are really hard core, you can talk directly to the
recipient's smtp server.  I emailed you an example.  (using that
technique! :) )