After update Thunderbird crashs constantly

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 01:25:27 UTC 2008

Peter l Jakobi wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 06:25:08PM -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>>>     Never do what Karl Says. It might work :-)
>>> That is a real shame.
>> Never do what? I hardly ever reboot because its not needed.
>> But I did and it didn't help.
>

> Well Karl, that's always the risk: It may or it may not work :>
>

> But  it's  certainly  interesting that we've now a  clean  slate,  and
> suddenly it fails reliably. [hmm, though Wade: why the false 'success'
> mail at first? Probably the first hint's exactly here.]
>
> Anyway, I like reliable failures :).
>
> Wade:
>
> 1. strace
>
>     is  there something interesting to see when you prefix thunderbird
>     and firefox with strace? Esp. near the end of it?
>
>     [you   might   want  to  call  strace  -f  -F  -e  trace=file   -o
>     STRACE-OUTPUT   COMMAND,   which  *tries*  to  cover   fork/vfork,
>     restricts   output   to  file-related  syscalls  and   writes   to
>     STRACE-OUTPUT]]
>
> 2.  Also  try firefox --sync --no-xshm -safe-mode to deal with  X11  /
> extension problems.
>
> 3. Furthermore, temporarily try renaming .mozilla / .mozilla-thunderbird.
>
> 0. And  before  trying anything of the above: check  syslog  and  the
>    output of firefox/... on stdout.
>
>    Also: We really can exclude flaky ram ram / disk?

03012008 1852 GMT-6

False success... Well it didnt crash multiple times after rebooting so I
thought it was fixed. But, its not so...

Ok. Flacky ram? If you mean ram going bad out of the blue. Always
possible but surely it would happen with other apps too.

Nothing in syslog. I went back to before the first crash and I see
nothing about mozilla.

Im not sure how to use the strace or stdout commands so Ill have to read
up on those.

Wade