spamassassin problem

Adam McGreggor lists at amyl.org.uk
Sat Mar 1 16:38:39 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 01:03:36PM +0000, Andrew Doades wrote:
> I have a ubuntu server 7.10 running and processing a lot of mail, so I

Presumably, the server's handling your mail, directly, and your MTA's
config'd to invoke SpamAssassin at/close to SMTP time?

> recently decided to move onto Spamassassin to filter my spam away but
> event after several weeks of moving, sa-learn ing, and google searching,
> I can't find what the problem is...
>
> Spamassassin will not mark messages as spam, it's set to put

Typically, there'll be a score indicated in the headers, along with
something along the lines of "SA-Spam", for high-ranking stuff... you
can then use those in exim-filters/procmail recipes.

> *****SPAM***** in the header, but nothing, no errors in the log!

For the logs: you may wish to see which log(s) SA reports to.

You may need to tweak the stuff in your spamassassin/spampd configs
(including those in /etc/default), or perhaps your MTA's ACLs
(again, assuming you're using a fairly standard SA/MTA config).