question about Apache

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Mar 1 00:15:45 UTC 2008

JosephK wrote:

> On 13:39 Fri 29 Feb     , Scott Berry wrote:
>> Hi Derek,
>>
>> Almost got it.  In this VirtualHost though I am getting asked for more
>> info

What info?

>> does this need to be an alias to moin's cgi file?  What I am trying to
>> accomplish here is when you type www.blindscanner.dyndns.org you get the
>> Moin Moin page.  Here is the sample of the VirtualHost it doesn't like.
>>
>> <VirtualHost>
>> ServerName: www.blindscanner.dyndns.org
>> DocumentRoot /usr/share/moin/server/moin.cgi
>> </VirtualHost>
>>

> There's a few things in the above. First, lose the : after ServerName.

I missed that...

> Also the www. before the domain

Yes, I'd wondered about the www.  Dyndns.org has given you a mapping
for "blindscanner" but not apparently "www.blindscanner".  Never having had
the ability to run an Internet-accessible server off my own local machines,
I haven't tried to do map a lower-level domain like www.blindscanner...,
but it looks like blindscanner is accessible from the net:

derek at bella:~/Plone-3.0.5$ nslookup www.blindscanner.dyndns.org.
** server can't find www.blindscanner.dyndns.org: NXDOMAIN

derek at bella:~/Plone-3.0.5$ nslookup blindscanner.dyndns.org.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   blindscanner.dyndns.org
Address: 75.104.20.208

--