jEdit in Ubuntu - is something wrong?

Rosalind Mitchell rcm at swimbarrow.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 13:42:53 UTC 2008

On Saturday 01 March 2008 07:36:46 Jack Bowling wrote:
> If you aren't allergic to Python, you may wish to check out Peppy:

I think I have an over-abundance of editors now, so I'll take a raincheck on
this one for now, but you raise an interesting question abouy Python allergy.

I have been somewhat allergic to Python, for a totally irrational reason that
has to do with all those Monty Python examples hijacking my youth (visiting
American friends, circa 1969: "Is this supposed to be _funny_?"  Same friends
being visited a few years later: "Hey there's this great new Brit TV
show..."!)

I decided a long time ago that life was much to short to work in C, and I've
used and liked Perl for years because its quick and dirty style suits me but
I always felt a bit queasy about it with users.  So I learned Ruby, rather
than Python, for when I wanted to be a bit more formal.  Would somebody like
to try to convince me to add Python to my armoury as well, or would that be
overkill?  What if anything is Python good at that Perl and/or Ruby aren't?

Rosie

--
Currently Reading McEWAN, IAN: Amsterdam
The Book of Enitharmon: http://swanofkennet.livejournal.com