Asus EEE webcam???

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 08:32:36 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln at mnsi.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 19:19 +0100, Neil wrote:
>  > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln at mnsi.net> wrote:
>  > > On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 16:20 +0100, Neil wrote:
>  > >  > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Bart Silverstrim
>  > >  > <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:
>  > >  > > Blaž Repas wrote:
>  > >  > >  > Hi!
>  > >  > >  >
>  > >  > >  > I have bought an Asus EEE laptop, installed ubuntu on it and tried Ekiga...
>  > >  > >  > But the webcam does not seem to work...
>  > >  > >  >
>  > >  > >  > Can anyone help me??
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  I read somewhere that the webcam was disabled in the BIOS.  you might
>  > >  > >  want to look there.  Maybe it was a power save thing...?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Under the original OS (Xandros) the web cam works perfectly, so it
>  > >  > can't be disabled in the BIOS. Or does Xandros perform a separate
>  > >  > hardware check that Ubuntu doesn't?
>  > >
>  > >   It may well be a simple driver issue.  Do you offhand know which
>  > >  driver Xandros was using?  If you don't then we need to track down the
>  > >  driver.  I'm not sure if the camera would be on the usb bus or the pci
>  > >  bus, though usb makes more sense.  For info on the USB bus in a terminal
>  > >  enter lsusb, and look for the info, if you don't get enough info, try
>  > >  lsusb -v, that will produce a lot of info and you need to look for the
>  > >  camera, if you cannot scroll back far enough try lsusb -v >> lsbusb.txt,
>  > >  and then open that with a text editor.  For the pci bus, try lspci.  For
>  > >  more info on either man lsusb or man lspci.
>  >
>  > here is the entire lsusb response from a EEE running the originl
>  > Xandros. I can't find the camera, but you may know what it all means.
>  >
>  > Neil
<snip>

>   I was looking for something similar to this:
>  idVendor           0x0402 ALi Corp.
>   idProduct          0x5602
>   bcdDevice            1.00
>   iManufacturer           0
>   iProduct                1 USB2.0 Camera
>
>    Which is part of the camera definition for the web-cam on my laptop.
>
>  If the web-cam works on the install that you posted the listing from,
>  would you please provide the output from lsmod.  This will tell us what
>  module Xandros is using to drive the hardware.

Here ya go, glad to help.

Module                  Size  Used by
wlan_scan_sta           9728  1
ath_pci                74084  0
ath_rate_atheros       24768  1 ath_pci
wlan                  144280  4 wlan_scan_sta,ath_pci,ath_rate_atheros
ath_dfs                25476  1 ath_pci
ath_hal               139968  3 ath_pci,ath_rate_atheros
pciehp                 31172  0
uvcvideo               40196  0
compat_ioctl32           576  1 uvcvideo
videodev               23552  1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat            12868  2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_common            11200  2 uvcvideo,videodev
cpufreq_ondemand        5116  0
p4_clockmod             3080  0
speedstep_lib           2624  1 p4_clockmod
freq_table              1988  2 cpufreq_ondemand,p4_clockmod
usb_storage            22148  0
libusual                5968  1 usb_storage
pci_hotplug             9672  1 pciehp
atl2                   23064  0
ehci_hcd               25420  0
uhci_hcd               18636  0
usbhid                 13444  0
usbcore                91928  7
uvcvideo,usb_storage,libusual,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd,usbhid
fuse                   34388  0
eeepc_hotk              5784  0
button                  5648  0
processor              19820  0
battery                 7940  0
ac                      3524  0
autofs4                15876  0
sr_mod                 13284  0
cdrom                  30624  1 sr_mod
snd_hda_intel          14424  0
snd_hda_codec         191776  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm                52936  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              15300  1 snd_pcm
snd                    32964  4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               3744  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          6472  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
genrtc                  6028  0

--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.