querry: root password!

andrea phillips homgirl177 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 03:33:26 UTC 2008

I BOOTED THE COMPUTER WHEN IT STARTED IT HAD HEWLETT PACKARD THEN IT WENT TO THE NEXT PAGE I ONLY SAW GRUB SO WHAT DO I PUSH THEN F1 OR WHICH ONE CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME HAvent been on my computer for months have to return the one im using can you give me starting to ending on how to do this never had this problem before and thanks for your help Steve may god bless.

Steve Grace <sgrace at pobox.com> wrote:  On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 20:01 -0800, andrea phillips wrote:
> can you help me i have forgot password what can i do to get on my
> computer.

Andrea:

Despite the subject line, I'm assuming that you mean you forgot your
user password. If so, here's how to fix that:

* Reboot your computer and select the option immediately beneath the
normal Ubuntu option (I believe it's called Recovery Mode). It will
partially boot and then stop at a "#" prompt.

* At the "#" prompt, enter "passwd" followed by a space followed by your
user name. For example, if your user name is "andrea", enter:

passwd andrea

* You will then be prompted for a new password (twice). Enter the
password you want to use.

* At the "#" prompt, enter the word "exit" to continue booting the
system.

Good luck!

Steve