voice activated app yet?

Steve Grace sgrace at pobox.com
Sat Mar 1 02:41:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 08:39 -0500, geoffrey froner wrote:

> Is there as yet a voice actuated program for Linux similar to DragonSpeak?

The following message was posted to ubuntu-studio-users last December in
response to a similar question:

    The only way to get real speech recognition on Linux is to run
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 7, 8 or 9, using WINE.
        Version 9, only Preferred works. I think Standard and Preferred
        both work for versions 7 and 8. Forget Professional, Legal and
        Medical versions.
        Once you get them installed, they run as fast and as accurately
        as they do on Windows, provided you stick to text recognition.
        Text can be input ONLY into the included DragonPad program or
        the Notepad program that comes with WINE.

        >From there, text can be cut and pasted into other programs
        using the mouse and keys.

        Follow the directions here:
        http://ossri.harvee.org/NaturallySpeakingWine

        Start DNS from the desktop icon. Start Notepad from a terminal
        using the command:

        wine notepad

        If anyone has any difficulty installing, give me a shout on-list
        using the header Speech Recognition --Help or something like
        that, because I don't read all the Studio mailing list entries.

        One tip, if you are new to Dragon NaturallySpeaking ... keep
        your expectations modest. Also, realize that the microphone they
        ship with the program is a piece of crap. If you can't get an
        accuracy score above 23 for the microphone, throw it away and
        get a new one. (One good thing about this list, I assume you all
        have good microphones.) Good soundcards are also a must.
        (Another problem you probably don't have.) 1GB RAM is essential.
        A fast processor is good.

        Susan Cragin