Ubuntu Hardy Heron server install: grub not updated

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Jun 30 12:14:33 UTC 2008

Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron server edition on a system which
> has Fedore Core 5 and Windows XP each in its own partition. There is
> also another small partition with Dell utilities.
>
> Ubuntu installed fine after resizing the Fedora partition, creating a fifth
> partition (with swap in a sixth partition). The installation went
> smooth without any problem.
>
> But grub did not get updated, and after rebooting the system I still
> only see Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP as the only options to boot
> into. The Ubuntu partition is there, as I can see after booting into
> Fedora, but my grup.conf is still the original one.
>
> What went wrong with the grub update? (I was asked about this at the
> end of the Ubuntu installation, and the installer was able to see
> Fedora and Windows XP without any problem and told me it was going to
> add Ubuntu as a boot option, and did not give any error message, but
> got stuck after closing the installer and saying "reinitiating the
> system" or something like that).
>
> Thanks for any help on how I can finish the installation, apart from
> writing the ubuntu boot option in the grup config file manually,

    Help us by giving the last 3 entries in the Ubuntu
/boot/grub/menu.lst file. You can do this from fedora by mounting ubuntu
and in a terminal use $ sudo cat to get the file. It will tell you/us
what happened to your load. As you say, the load didn't end right.

    The fast way to fix this might be to just re-load Ubuntu :-)

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User