Grub error on update

Mumia W. paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 05:22:10 UTC 2008

Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:32:25 +0200
> Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> No, what I say is that he is possibly looking for the problem at the
>> wrong place, i.e. if it is the menu.lst from Debian, Ubuntu has
>> nothing to do with the problem because Ubuntu doesn't change that
>> file due to a kernel update. It would only be changed by a Debian
>> update.
>

>   No it is the menu.lst from Ubuntu. Every time Grub updates it because
> of a Kernel update I have to ensure both match. Debian hasn't updated
> the Kernel for several weeks at least. I have been looking for a way
> around this PITA for sometime but have been unsuccessful.

Why must both match? I have both Debian and Ubuntu installed; Debian's
Grub is in the MBR, and Ubuntu's Grub in a partition's bootsector. I
boot Ubuntu through the chainloading mechanism.

One Linux installation has basically nothing to do with the other. If
you setup your system this way, your need to synchronize menu.lst files
will probably disappear.