date formulation

Rick rufus at hanadari.net
Sun Jun 29 19:15:15 UTC 2008

nik gare wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>> This is a repeat posting of a question concerning the formatting of dates. This
>> time I shall ask it in two parts.
>>

>> 1. Are those of you not living in the USA able to see Thunderbird dates as
>> day-month-year? In Nautilus, the dates show as 22 Jun 2008, but all the mail in
>> TB shows the form 06/22/2008.
>>

> Yes, here in thunderbird it shows the date of your message as 22/06/06.
>
>> 2. If you can see the dates day-month-year, where did you make the required
>> adjustment? My time location is marked as Jerusalem, but I have the US qwerty
>> keyboard selected as default.
>
> I've really know idea ;-)
>
> Under System->Preferences->Keyboard I have my keyboard set to German
> because I live in Germany and have a German keyboard
> Under System->Administration->Language Support I have English(United
> Kingdom) as my main language
>
> Hope this helps,
> Nik

Mirabile dictu! No one could relate to the question from personal
experience, so I'll tell you, although Nik shoved me in the right
direction. You will recall that my geographical location is Jerusalem.
The keyboard is standard US qwerty. It turns out that in the convoluted
logic of Ubuntu, it makes no difference where you live, but it does what
keyboard you use. I changed the keyboard to UK English, and now the
month has moved to second spot where it belongs for most people around
the world.

Rick