Accessing Windows Shared Folders

John Toliver john.toliver at
Sun Jun 29 13:53:27 UTC 2008

To add to my last post,

I did a quick search on Launchpad and found this:

The 4th or 5th posting down says to enable "simple file-sharing" on your XP
box.  I did this and it worked for me.  However when I click on one of my
new found shares, it tells me this:

"Couldn't display "smb://<name-of-myserver>/<name-of-share>/"."
There is no application installed for this file type.

What is supposed to open it if not nautilus? I have 'smbclient', and 'smbfs'

I've discovered the key to success is to never give up. You either learn the
right way, or you run out of ways to do it wrong. A win/win situation!