Seleting the runlevel at kernel boot time: Hardy

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Sun Jun 29 01:34:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 19:15 -0500, Mumia W. wrote:
> Mumia W. wrote:
> > I'm running Ubuntu Hardy. In Debian Etch, I'm always able to select my
> > desired runlevel by appending a number onto the kernel boot command line
> > in Grub, e.g. "... root=/dev/sda1 ro 3"
> >
> > Three would be my desired runlevel. However, Ubuntu Hardy ignores this,
> > and it always sends me into runlevel two. How do I use the kernel
> > command line to tell Ubuntu what runlevel I desire?
> >

> Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Ubuntu uses upstart which is an even based init process. With the SysV
backward compatibility, you can create an /etc/inittab file with a
single line like:

initdefault:3

This will set the default bootstrap runlevel to 3 instead of 2.
Runlevel 2 is hardwired in the /etc/event.d/rc-default script.  I would
imagine this hack will change in future releases of Ubuntu as the
backward compatibility with syvinit is deprecated.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect
smoot at tic.com