Seleting the runlevel at kernel boot time: Hardy

Mumia W. paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam at
Thu Jun 26 17:00:57 UTC 2008

David Curtis wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 00:14 -0500, Mumia W. wrote:
>> I'm running Ubuntu Hardy. In Debian Etch, I'm always able to select my
>> desired runlevel by appending a number onto the kernel boot command line
>> in Grub, e.g. "... root=/dev/sda1 ro 3"
>> Three would be my desired runlevel. However, Ubuntu Hardy ignores this,
>> and it always sends me into runlevel two. How do I use the kernel
>> command line to tell Ubuntu what runlevel I desire?
> Huh? I always thought there were only 4 runlevels left. 0,1,2-5,6. where
> 2,3,4,5 are the same. I haven't seen multi user or single user CLI since
> maybe FC2 or FC3.

In both Slackware 10.0 and Debian {3.1,4.0}, it's possible to
differentiate the runlevels. Slackware used 4 for X11, and I configured
Debian to do the same.

You can change the runlevel usage in Debian by invoking, as root,
update-rc.d with the appropriate parameters. Manipulating the symbolic
links in /etc/rc?.d/ also works.

Ubuntu is another story. Ubuntu seems to simply ignore the runlevel
passed in on the kernel command line, so there must be some other way to
signal to Ubuntu that a non-default runlevel is wanted (at boot time).