PLEASE HELP!!!

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 07:54:46 UTC 2008

David Vincent wrote:
> is there an option in the bios to turn that adapter on and off as well?
No, the BIOS in this laptop is extremely barebones.  I haven't found any
option to turn on or keep the WiFi turned on at all.

I'm wondering, is there such a thing as a purely software driven
wireless adapter?  You know something similar to a Winmodem  (software
modem) but for WiFi.  I'm assuming the MadWifi drivers included in the
Ubuntu Restricted Extras when installed is supposed to function that way
but when in Windows the wireless adapter doesn't work right unless you
configure it using the Acer Empowerment software (which appears as a
green and black floating toolbar on the desktop that controls many
functions including networking).

I've continued to dig around on the Internet and found one more thing I
can try.  It involves blacklisting the installed drivers and using
ndiswrapper with a special set drivers for WinXP.  Someone had said they
got WiFi to work on their Aspire 4520 in Gutsy using this method.  But,
I thought the presence of the MadWiFi drivers which were recommended by
Atheros themselves were enough.  I guess I'll try using this method I
found and see if it works.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com