Ubuntu Server 8.04 Slow File Uploads

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jun 26 05:14:15 UTC 2008

Hi

I have two servers and an XP notebook all on same Gig LAN, one an old Celeron 466 / Debian.

>From Windows XP / Dual Pentium notebook can transfer a 1 Meg binary file in the blink of an eye onto Debian. (Less than a second)

Have made a new Ubuntu Server 8.04, AMD 500 II, setup SSH, log in using SFTP (Same PC, same WinSCP settings etc!) same file takes 10
mins!!! Can download file off new server (once its there!) in a flash, so server NIC seems OK.

I installed using apt-get install ssh openssh-server

Was using WinSCP 406, upgraded to 407, same, upgraded 413, still same! The /etc/ssh/sshd_config files on the respective machines are
largely identical, apart from upgrade(?) syntax changes. Protocol is SFTP(SCP), no key file, SSH protocl Ver 2. (Same for each shown
with saved hovertip)

Checking further both CPU's utilization are minimally touched by this, using task manager and top.

I also note the Ubuntu server transfers seem to hang with the transfer window frequently unresponsive, yet updated every multiple of
seconds. They start off reporting very fast transfers (as expected) with typ speeds of 50,000B/s

Thinking it may be WinSCP I tried tunnelier, with the same results!

Suggests something about ubuntu server?, perhaps setup, perhaps someone here can suggest please?

The Tortise.