help needed to enable boot.log in Hardy Heron

Derek Broughton news at
Wed Jun 25 19:57:56 UTC 2008

Clifford Haynes wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> untested - but hook another PC using screen or an honest to goodness
>>> serial terminal to a serial port and add
>>>    console=/dev/ttySx
>>> to the boot line in grub.
>>> Or is there something I'm missing here?
>> LOL.  There's a solution I haven't seen in a while - does anybody still
>> _have_ a serial port?
> Yes.

Maybe it's a desktop-type thing.  I haven't bought a desktop machine in at
least 5 years, but none of the 4 laptops I've bought since then have a
serial port, and I expect for this purpose that a usb-serial converter
wouldn't do the job :-)

I thought it worthy of comment because, not so very long ago, this was _the_
advice when you had a kernel problem.