Mounting a new drive

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Jun 25 13:32:42 UTC 2008

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> I have a Hitachi 320gb drive that was until an hour ago formatted as
> NTFS. It was seen by Gnome and showed up on my desktop. After pulling
> all its data off, I decided I wanted to reformat it so it would be a
> "native" file format and no NTFS anymore. So far so good. But now I'm
> stuck trying to edit /etc/fstab to get it to display. Is there an easy
> GUI tool to help me do this, like the NTFS configuration tool? Failing
> that, how do I create a mount point that /etc/fstab will like (I
> presume on /media/)
>
> The partition is /dev/sdd1. Reiser file system. Type-Linux (0x83).
> Label=Hitachi300. UUID=27bb8f9b-38ab-4398-92c5-4fbc0dd970a1. I'll
> provide more info if this isn't enough.

sorry, I don't know of any GUI.  But it's easy enough to do.

(Either switch to super user mode, or the Ubuntu way, preface all
commands with sudo.)

1. Backup fstab

cd /etc
cp fstab fstab.bak

2.  You need to create the directory where you will be mounting the
drive.  This doesn't have to be in /media.  For example, I have a
/home/data folder that is an entirely different partition.  But assuming
you use /media/newdrive

mkdir /media/newdrive

3. Edit your fstab file and add the following line to the bottom:

"UUID=27bb8f9b-38ab-4398-92c5-4fbc0dd970a1 /media/newdrive reiserfs
noatime 0 2"

(This is a long line that gets wrapped in my e-mail, but it should all
be one line.)

4. Try mounting the new drive before you reboot, make sure this all
works without errors.

mount /media/newdrive

5. Assuming I haven't messed up these instructions and everything works.
 The new drive should, by default, be owned by root.  If you would
rather the entire drive be owned by your regular user account:

chown -R username /media/newdrive