Mounting a new drive

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jun 25 11:18:15 UTC 2008

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> I have a Hitachi 320gb drive that was until an hour ago formatted as
> NTFS. It was seen by Gnome and showed up on my desktop. After pulling
> all its data off, I decided I wanted to reformat it so it would be a
> "native" file format and no NTFS anymore. So far so good. But now I'm
> stuck trying to edit /etc/fstab to get it to display. Is there an easy
> GUI tool to help me do this, like the NTFS configuration tool? Failing
> that, how do I create a mount point that /etc/fstab will like (I
> presume on /media/)
>
> The partition is /dev/sdd1. Reiser file system. Type-Linux (0x83).
> Label=Hitachi300. UUID=27bb8f9b-38ab-4398-92c5-4fbc0dd970a1. I'll
> provide more info if this isn't enough.

    1. You do not need to mount that drive to change the partition type
and put on a new file system. Use "fdisk" to change anything you want
and then mkfs.XYZ to make the new file system. In fact you can't make a
new file system if the partition is mounted.

    2. Only put things you want to do a long time automatically in
/etc/fstab. Do not mess with this file. You can make it impossible to
boot up REAL EASY :-)

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI