help needed to enable boot.log in Hardy Heron

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Wed Jun 25 06:18:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, David Armour wrote:

> Hello list,

               ..............snip.................

> I've since read that Crtl-S/Q may control the rate of start-up messages,
> and/or that Crtl-Alt-F8 makes them viewable in that console. HTH.

Can you cite a source for this, please?

> /var/log/boot,
> for example is similarly empty, presumably because /boot/init.d/bootlogd
> shows BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=No.

My /boot (on 8.04) contains no init.d. Instead, /etc/init.d contains:

case "$BOOTLOGD_ENABLE" in
   [Nn]*)
 	exit 0
 	;;
esac

Which to me is unintelligible

             .............snip...............

> So, to sum up: Diagnosing/troubleshooting boot errors conveniently largely
> depends on getting a bootlog which in turn means enabling bootlogd...
> but the bootlog daemon has a bug, or is otherwise dis-abled in Hardy?

Or the Ubuntu developers are more concerned with making the distro Grandma
friendly and forgetting the poor schmucks that actually have to *gulp*
diagnose a problem.

> As a workaround to these circumstances, you may try:
>    Crtl-S/Q,
>    Crtl-Alt-F8, or
>    modify a bootscript to 'tee' output to a user-created file...

Again, sources please. Thanks.

> (Is that about it?)

Yup!

--
Bob Holtzman
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...