network shares stopped working

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 25 03:40:34 UTC 2008

On 06/24/2008 04:49 PM, James Takac wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> My network (smb) shares have stopped working after the last updates. No
> computer can see the others via the network it seems. Main comp is 8.04 and
> others still 7.10. One of the 7.10 pc's cann at least see the network name
> from my router and displays an error akin to folder contents can not be
> displayed when clicking the windows network icon. This one only shows
> a "windows network" and nothing beyond. No errors just empty folder and no
> pc's or networks. The 8.10 pc does this later trick as well. Any ideas?. btw,
> all pc's updated the other day so I'm guessing something to do with the
> updates
>
> James

I've had so many problems of late with standard samba shares (7.10 -
8.04) that I simply don't try the "browse the network" thing anymore.
Instead I just use the location bar and:

smb//ipaddress-or-machinename/

and once connected I make sure to bookmark the link (Bookmarks|Add
Bookmark) and then just use the bookmark instead.