SATA Hard Drives

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jun 24 12:48:49 UTC 2008

Owen Townend wrote:
> On 24/06/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Rashkae wrote:
>>  > Karl Larsen wrote:
>>  >
>>  >>     I know a lot of people are using SATA drives now. How did you get
>>  >> them to work in a reliable way?
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > I plug them in and turn the computer on
>>  >
>>  >

>>     Well I have been experimenting and have found my problem. The BIOS
>>  on my computer is very poor with SATA hard drives. I am now in the port
>>  on the motherboard that when I look at BIOS it says I have zero hard
>>  drives but it boots up to this system just fine. When I use the other
>>  port BIOS shows the hard drive present and working.
>>
>>     The end of the data cable on the hard drive is solid and a good
>>  connection but the one on the motherboard had some lint in the plug. I
>>  blew off the lint and blew out the plugs on the motherboard and they are
>>  now clean.
>>
>>     I wiggled the cable at both ends and it will not stop. It must be
>>  good now.
>>

>>  Karl
>>

> Hey,
>   I'm glad you found the culprit (dust).
>   IIRC you bought a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H about the same time I did.
> By default the first 3 SATA ports are set to AHCI SATA, the next two
> are set to PATA legacy mode.
>   To check that the disk is being detected look in the bios where you
> set the boot disk order. All hard disks should be in that list.
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

    My computer and BIOS must be older than yours. It is a
GeForce6100-M9 mainboard and the bios does not have any SATA ports
defined as such. I will look at the boot disk order (when I find it). It
may well be bad. I have had problems with boot disk order changing :-)

    By the way I got this nVidia running pretty good so that mainboard
is in the store room. I need to build another computer someday.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User