help needed to enable boot.log in Hardy Heron

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com
Tue Jun 24 02:55:38 UTC 2008

On Jun 23, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Vitorio Okio wrote:
> I certainly did but without any luck.  The messages I need are
> pre-syslog messages.  I tried to enable "verbose" in rcS, and of
> course it did not help either.
>
> The only way for me to get the messages is to log the actual console
> output that is shown upon boot.

It seems that you're trying to get the output of the bootscripts,
correct? dmesg will give you all the output of the kernel, but it
won't give you the output of the bootscripts. (from 'man dmesg':
"dmesg - print or control the kernel ring buffer")

Without using bootlogd (which from googling appears to be currently
broken, which is why it wasn't included), the only other thing I can
currently think of is to manually modify the bootscript functions to
tee output to a file of your choice.

If I have time and can sort this out, I'll let you know...

Jeremy Huntwork
LightCube Solutions, LLC
site: http://www.lightcubesolutions.com
blog: http://lightcubesolutions.blogspot.com