Projectors on Ubuntu

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Mon Jun 23 15:18:41 UTC 2008

Hi!

First thing first... Fn+F7 might not be mapped to the proper function...
so ignore it for the moment.

So there are 2 possibilities to get display on the external monitor when
things get rough...

1) The "life is easy" way. Just try opening a shell window and typing
"xrandr --auto" and the ENTER key. Hopefully, with that, you are all set.

Sometimes your hardware really doesn't want to cooperate as much as you
think... in which case :

2) The "let's play rough" way. Just kill the X server and get back to
login prompt. This will force the driver to scan the VGA port once more
to try to detect a monitor/projector.

3) Finally, sometimes, nothing else works... your projector doesn't
cooperate and tell the relevant info to the PC... in this case, plug the
PC to an external MONITOR (not projector) use previous methods to switch
external output on... then, without turning off the PC or closing the
screen, or going back to GNOME login, unplug the monitor, then plug the
projector.

I find one of these methods always works for me...

Gilles