Burning a data dvd not compatible with mac?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Jun 23 14:10:24 UTC 2008

Sartoros Dionysios wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I burned a data DVD for a friend on a Mac, and when he inserts it he
> sees nothing on the disc.  I put it in another computer with ubuntu and
> it works.  It didnt work on a Windows 2000 either.
>
> I tried checking options in Brasero and Gnome Box(something), and I
> couldnt really find anything..  Is there another burning program out
> there that can make compatible disks, or am I completely blind to an
> option?
>
> Thanks

You didn't mention what version of Ubuntu you are using.  Ubuntu
versions prior to Hardy (Edgy and Gutsy, at least) have a *major* bug in
genisoimage that creates a corrupt Joliet filesystem under some
circumstances. (I'm still not sure what even triggers this, some of my
DVD's are fine, others were impacted).  this is fixed in Hardy, but for
some reason completely beyond my comprehension, the powers that be
aren't fixing the "Supported" earlier versions.  It's relatively easy to
download the source package for the updated genisoimage from Ubuntu
repos and install it yourself in your system.  (Sorry, I don't know the
commands off the top of my head, I'm sure someone here can help)

Otherwise, you can install the mkisofs package and create the disc image
from command line.

cd /some/directory/you/want/to/burn
mkisofs -r -J -o ~/image.iso .

Then burn the resulting iso to DVD

Another way to fix this might be to delete the genisoimage binary file
and replace it with a link to mkisofs.  That's probably not for the
faint of heart however.