Daily maintenance

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 00:10:49 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Kim Briggs <patiodragon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/20/08, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 7:38 AM, Paul <pfortin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Hi all,
>>  >
>>  How do you do the home backup?
>>
>>  I've been using rdiff-backup lately, but have not done much stress
>>  testing to see if it can really recover a randomly selected file.
>>

>>  --
>>  Paul E. Johnson
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I like rsync.  It has been working for me in a home network
> environment for years.
>
> http://kimbriggs.com/computers/computer-notes/linux-notes/samba-setup-ubuntu704-guide.file
>
> scroll to "To arrange nightly backups:"

If you like that, you'll be even happier with rdiff-backup.  Uses the
power of rsync to save incremental backup, so you not only have a copy
of the newest version, but also  previous versions.

My script looks exactly like the rsync version you point to.

$ cat rdiff-backup.sh
rdiff-backup /home/pauljohn/Research /media/extdisk/backup/pauljohn/Research
rdiff-backup /home/pauljohn/ps  /media/extdisk/backup/pauljohn/ps
rdiff-backup /home/pauljohn/swarm  /media/extdisk/backup/pauljohn/swarm

pj