ATI graphics support?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Jun 22 21:32:26 UTC 2008

> What about stability? My first goal would be to have a stable enough
> system with those drivers. I dont currently care about the "desktop
> effects".

If you don't need 3D acceleration, then just use an old ATI card
with the existing (old) free driver (called 'ati' or 'radeon'), which
Ubunru will use automatically.
I used to have an old ATI Radeon 9200 or 9250
(can't remember which) card, and the free (2D only) driver worked
beautifully. Not a single bug or glitch or artefact or anything, it was
really perfect, "just works". It also made monitor detection (using
DDC) actually work. Since I switched to Nvidia (whatever card or
driver), monitor detection always failed so I keep having to hack
xorg.conf manually.
That's also partly why I am impatient to see this new free ATI driver
finished, so that I can buy a card/driver combo where DDC works, and if
doesn't work initially, at least it's free so I can file a bug and it
can be fixed.

--
Vince