SATA Hard Drives

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 17:59:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>    The hard drive is a Western Digital, or it says it is. It could be
> Hitachi with that man on it I suppose.
>

> What is AHTI?

I think he means acpi, but I don't see the relevance of the answer to
the question. Might be a cabling issue, you see, so what does acpi
have to do with that?

Mine's a recent (a few weeks old) 500 gb WDC SATA drive.

ox at newbox:~$ sudo hddtemp /dev/sdc
/dev/sdc: WDC WD5000AACS-00ZUB0: 38°C

It's a hot::) new WD-5000 something.

So far no problems on this new build. I run the system 24/7.

I did have some problems in the beginning with the bios seeing all the
drives (I have 2 ide's in the system but I don't have them actively in
use, just to bring stuff of if needed). But those just seem to be
cabling issues as it now works fine.

I have heard trouble with various manufacturers of drives in the past,
even WDC and hitachi. FWIW, one of my other drives in the system is a
7+ year old IBM Deskstar 30 (yes the famous Deathstar drive, some of
which were involved in a class action against IBM (or Hitachi) but the
drive is solid w/out any errors.

(crossing fingers now) ;).