firestarter start failure?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at
Sun Jun 22 04:57:56 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 2:07 AM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Vitorio Okio wrote:
>> I see Firestarter being reported "failed" every single time I start
>> either my desktop or laptop.  But as soon the system started
>> Firestarter is always up and running.
>> I think the reason is quite simple and obvious.   The system attempts
>> to start Firestarter before the network interface Firestarter is
>> configured to is up.  This makes Firestarter rightfully to fail.
>> After the system started and the required network interface is up,
>> Firestarter starts automatically.
> Simple maybe but not so obvious.
> First, it never used to fail on boot. That seems to be a recent
> development.
> Second, firestarter doesn't show in the output of "ps aux" unless it's GUI
> is open. Not sure if that's recent as I just noticed it.
> --
Firestarter is not a daemon, it should not show in ps output unless
gui is open.  It writes to iptables firewall rules, and then is done,
unless gui is open.

Have you checked the point I raised on this thread about specifying
which ethernet device is being monitored?

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
University of Kansas