Apache2 does not want to leave

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Jun 21 19:46:56 UTC 2008

galevsky wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to get a lighttpd + php5 web server, when I noticed strange
> dependencies (namely package libapache2mod-php5... it is nice but I have
> nothing to do with apache2).
>
> In the end I got the apache2 package too due to a misunderstanding, and I
> now want to remove it. Let's try a sudo apt-get --purge remove apache2...
> exit status is OK, package is removed
> .
> If I do it again, apt-get answers that apache2 is not installed.
> Good. But false. I still have the daemon inside /etc/init.d
> which starts the server, and apache2 + apache2clt stay still remain in
> /usr/sbin/.
>
> I can definitely remove that stuff by hand, but I would like to understand
> what I am doing wrong and why I fail doing that with apt...

You're using apt-get.

If you used synaptic or aptitude (to do the _install_ - it's probably too
late now), you'd be able to remove the actual package that contains those
files.  apache2 is just a meta-package and has no real files.  It depends
on:
apache2-mpm-worker | apache2-mpm-prefork | apache2-mpm-event

which are different implementations of apache, and they all depend on other
things.  /etc/init.d/apache2 is actually in (for me) apache2.2-common.

Your simplest option, now, I think is:

# sudo aptitude purge ~iapache2
--
derek