Media Players - Hardy

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 21 13:56:28 UTC 2008

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 19.06.2008, 09:31 -0700 schrieb Sam Albers:
> Can anyone recommend a good media player that work well with Hardy?
> Specifically, I am looking for a reliable music player. Right now, all
> the programs (Amarok, RhythmBox, Banshee) seem to work imperfectly on
> this platform. Amarok and banshee freeze all too frequently and
> RhythmBox often just simply doesn't play. It opens but pressing the
> play button has no effect. Is this potentially a problem not related
> to the media program? I know that Amarok isn't desgined for GNOME but
> I figured RhythmBox should work a little better. Any suggestions?
try to install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package (if its legal in
your country), while totem (teh default video player) will ask you to
install single codecs, rhythmbox doesnt have that capability so it just
doesnt play if a codec (i.e. mp3 support) is missing ...

the ubuntu-restricted-extras package will install all codecs (and more)
and should enable you to play all content you can find online in the
default installed players.

ciao
	oli