Changing Default Programs

Alan Milnes deep64blue at itguru.org.uk
Fri Jun 20 08:53:35 UTC 2008

David Curtis wrote:

> Alan Milnes wrote:
>
>> Phil Sexton wrote:
>>
>>> gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list
>>>

>> Does anybody still use the gksudo command?  If so why?  Doesn't sudo
>> work fine with graphical programs now?
>>
>> Alan
>>

> Sudo has always worked fine with graphical progams.
Not in my experience .... previously I found until you logged in for the
first time as root sudo would not launch any graphical programs. This is
now not the case hence my query.

> gksu and gksudo are used for invoking a graphical mode of inputing an
> admin password. Both are used specifically for menu items or toolbar
> items (or perhaps in script where a terminal is not in use?).

Just tested and indeed they both pop up an interactive password prompt -
thanks for teaching me that. However if you are already in a terminal,
as per the suggestion that kicked this off, there is no great benefit to it.

Cheers.

Alan