Firefox 3.0 aggravations

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Thu Jun 19 20:17:19 UTC 2008

Steve Lamb wrote:

>> - - click the star in The Awesome Bar once, twice
>
>     I move to strike that name and replace it with the "Take it, BEESH! bar"
>  ;)

yeah, i'm not big on that name either.  what/who are they marketing to?
  i'm not 14 and haven't been in a while.

>> - - fill in your info including a tag or two, don't worry about sorting it
>> into a folder, the tagging makes that somewhat redundant
>> - - click the ok button
>
>     Still too many steps.  See, the way it worked before was.
>
> - - Go to the site.

hehe.  point taken.

>     Tags are further input, unneeded input, from me.  I've never had a need
> for tags before and do not like the concept of them.  If I had my
> druthers it would have been tags that was ripped out instead of a
> sensible and simple way to find sites I visit in a quick and simple
> manner which did not require one whit of input from me to work.

i actually hate tags.  so far i'm intrigued by The Awesome Bar and think
it has potential - but i'll likely never tag anything unless i figure
out a way it can accelerate my navigation to a site easier than adding a
shortcut to my toolbar.  click-hold, drag, drop, done.

>> now to access your sites just type the tag in the address bar where you
>> used to type your two-letter codes - heck, tag the sites with your two
>> letter codes.

i was figuring here you only had a few sites you wanted to do this with
- - to me (for me) this technique will (would) have scaling problems.

>     While I appreciate the suggestion it misses the mark.  Take, for
> example, a Verizon buyer who has looked at some phone upgrades recently
> and he wants to get back to them.  He types in ve and gets pages with
> haVE in their title.  This breaks up the grouping of VErizon.com URLs
> which are easily scanned.  Are you suggesting that he bookmark each
> page, and tag them, when in 3-4 days he won't need any of that any more,
> ever?

bookmark?  dear lord no.  the history is searched, no need to bookmark.

fyi i had to type "veri" in my bar to get to only verizon pages, that
wasn't too hard was it?

shouldn't that user use better words which more aptly fit what s/he is
looking for?  why would i type in verizon?  that's just too vague.
anyways, i'm veering offtopic here.

i was suggesting you could recreate the ease of access you had to the
sites in question by bookmarking them then tagging them with your own
two letter code which one would hope would give it higher weight in your
Awesome Bar searches and it would naturally rise to the top of the
results thereby making your life easier.  sounds like that won't work
for you though, sounds like you feel have too many sites to do this with.

>     If migrating means going back to something sensible then that is easier,
> really.  I only need to migrate once.  I go to sites by URL dozens, if
> not hundreds, of times a day.  A small investment in a new browser more
> than makes up for the lost productivity this change has wrought.  Oh,
> and for the record, as of this morning "awesome bar rocks" and "awesome
> bar rules" netted 3 hits on Google.  "awesome bar sucks" netted 10 hits.
>  There's proof.  ;)

proof indeed.  go internet.  :)  remember when stephen colbert proved
that elephant populations had increased significantly over a six month
period ?

>> btw what is the alternative browser to you?  i'm liking epiphany and its
>> many extensions, opera is pretty great too though.
>
>     Opera probably.  I actually am one of the people who pledged to pay for
> it and did pay for it when they ported it to Linux about a decade ago.
> I can easily use it again.  Depends if they've got the same silliness in
> the URL bar.

i bought it for my wii!.  $5 well spent.

- -d