Any user can restart

PleegWat pleegwat at telfort.nl
Thu Jun 19 16:13:05 UTC 2008

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> PleegWat wrote:
>
>> I've looked around, even in the text config files for GDM, but I haven't
>> found a way to disable that button.
>
> Set the corresponding <mumble>Command values to be empty in the custom
> gdm config file (Hardy uses /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom), i. e. in the
> "[deamon]" section add, for example,
> RebootCommand=
> to remove the reboot button from the login screen.
> The gdm reference manual gives a quite detailed overview of the
> different configuration options gdm understands:
> gnome-help file://///usr/share/gnome/help/gdm/C/gdm.xml#configuration

Yup, that did it. Each option can be turned off individually for the
greeter and for all users. To do it for individual users you need RBAC,
so I guess I'll spend a nice while googling tomorrow finding out what
that is, and whether ubuntu includes it.

For the greeter:
SystemCommandsInMenu=HALT;REBOOT;HIBERNATE;SUSPEND;CUSTOM_CMD

For the user shutdown button:
AllowLogoutActions=HALT;REBOOT;HIBERNATE;SUSPEND;CUSTOM_CMD

Just remove those you don't want and paste the result in
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom. HALT is a different word for shutdown.

PleegWat