boot problems after update to 2.6.24-19-386 kernel (latest) for 8.04

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 19 16:01:09 UTC 2008

Folks,

I have just completed the updates that include the latest kernel,
Firefox, OO & etc. On two different systems:

System 1 - Dell Latitude C610 - No problems encountered

System 2 - Dell Inspiron 530 - Problems encountered

When I attempt to restart the system it drops out of the busybox after
some time with a string of error messages. When I restarted with the
Recovery Mode option it starts to boot but begins to generate errors.
AFICT they reference ata1 & ata2 (I am unable to get the exact text due
to retrys). Some to the info I was able to copy:

ata1... ----- NOT ABLE to copy info ----
repeated numerous times
ata2... configured for UDMA/25
ata2... status {DRDY}
ata2... soft resetting link
ata2... EH complete
(repeated several times)

I am able to get the system to boot using the 2.6.24-14-386 kernel...

Both boxes are running 8.04 LTS

Ideas for correcting the problem greatly appreciated...  The logs I have
looked at don't show any thing to do with booting the -19 kernel. What
other info can I get /find and/or examine?

Regards,
Jay

--

Jay Ridgley