cannot e2label NTFS partition on external HDD

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Thu Jun 19 03:29:59 UTC 2008

Hi Nils,
Thanks for your feedback and help / hints:

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 08:11 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > To identify these partitions exactly i tried to label as following:
> >
> > sna at WS222:~$ sudo e2label /dev/sdb1 LD149ext3
> > [sudo] password for sna:
> >
> > Seems OK !
> >
> > But I am unable to create new folder/s !?
>
> Did you try that as root? This should work:
>
> sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
> sudo mkdir /mnt/$USER
> sudo chown $USER: /mnt/$USER
>
> This will mount the disk at "/mnt" (replace with another mount point, if
> necessary). After that you should have the directory /mnt/$USER writeable
> for you as normal user.

Yesterday I retried my experiments and finally got my /home/user name
rsync'ed to /media/LD149ext3/folder name !!! ;-D

Don't ask me how and what id did !? ;-|

After rebooting my system LD149ext3 appeared and
the, supposed to be LD149ntfs partition, appeared as "disk" !?
At least the more important ext3 partition was working ! ;-)

This morning (incremental) rsync went perfect with no difference !!!
4075 items, totalling 9.8 GB
;-D

> > Labeling the second (ntfs) partition gives following error message:
> >
> > sna at WS222:~$ sudo e2label /dev/sdb2 LD149ntfs
> > e2label: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb2
> > Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
>
> >From "man e2label":
>
> | e2label - Change the label on an ext2/ext3 filesystem
>
> NTFS isn't ext2/ext3

Yes, I know ! :-)

> But I can't tell you how to label an NTFS partition other than using Windows.

No problems !
But I only wonder how GParted 0.3.6-7 deals with this:
I am able to create a NTFS partition and label it with "LD149ntfs" ...
... but the OS doesn't recognize it !?

Well, that seems not an OS topic to be here ...
... I may better as the GParted team. ;-)

Nils, once more again: Thanks a lot for all your appreciated help !!!

Cheers, svobi