Brian Beattie beattie at
Thu Jun 19 02:03:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 16:44 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, June 18, 2008 4:11 pm, Michael Haney wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Steve Lamb <grey at> wrote:
> >>    Yeah!  And they could call it OS/2!  No, wait, OS/3!
> > Ah, OS/2 Warp.  Now there was an OS.
>     Oh yeah.  My OS chain on the x86 was DOS -> OS/2 -> Linux (Slack ->
> Debian -> KUbuntu).  I bought 3 versions of OS/2.  2.0, 2.(cough) and 3
> Warp.  It's still in use in places today.  With IBM's backing of Linux I
> wonder why they don't pull a Sun with OS/2 and open source it.

Because it has MS code in it.  Originally MS and IBM were collaborating
on OS/2, it was going to be the follow on to Windows, then MS decided it
wanted complete control and developed WINT.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

Brian Beattie   LFS12947 | "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
beattie at | It's about dealing with the consequences."     | -- Midori Koto